Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Digital Textbooks...It's a Matter of Defintion (Part 2 in a series on Digital Textbooks)



Last post, I went to the extreme of comparing digital textbooks to putting
"Lipstick on a Pig". So I promise that I will lead you away from the make-up aisle and towards something that will change your teacher...Forever.

Way to raise the bar Lit Maven!

Anyway, I have been thinking about this post in my sleep. Which, I know is fairly sad...but it is all for the educational good.

Anyway...it begins with this... it's a matter of definition.

(not the Canadian TV Show)

and definitely not the show's Theme Song or Austin Powers

What it isn't
For me, I am not talking about a "Digital" Textbook as simply a digital version of a regular textbook.

Some schools use the term E-book or "digital equivalent", as suggested in this article.

My Definition

So what is your definition, Lit Maven?

I envision or define a digital textbook, like writers' notebooks. An all encompassing catchment for a subject area or subjects combined. Pulling in audio, video and other resources into a home base for students. Combining all the features of a digital textbook except...it is created by the teacher (perhaps also from students).

This would be a huge undertaking. But wouldn't it be worth it?

I must digress..once a teacher asked me for help with her struggling reader. I suggested some resources or things that she could create.

She said, "I don't have time."
I thought, "So it's easier to do nothing. It's easier to ignore a student who is struggling?" (Please note the sarcasm)

So yes...it requires work, but so do all things, that are worthwhile.

What Do We Call it?

So what name can we use to replace the digital textbook?

I am thinking CLN(Classroom Learning Network ). But I also what the name to suggest a unifying element, a central hub of info. I will continue to ponder it. Please let me know what you think.

Also,check out this #Edchat summary. It helps to get the discussion started.

Next Post: Baking a "textbook" from scratch.

Until Next Time,
Lit Maven Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Its all in the Jeans

This week I can wear jeans all week to work. This means I can feel like I am working from home, even though I am not. But let's be...